The new four-lane bridge replaces the original span, which was built in 1913. The bridge consists of lighted, pre-cast concrete bridge arches that rise over 20 feet above the roadway surface.
The bridge will also include a 10-1/2 foot wide space on the outside of the bridge to accommodate pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
The disc bearings, manufactured by R. J. Watson have a vertical service load if 1,400 kips. The horizontal service load for all of the disc bearings was 10% of the vertical service load. The longitudinal displacement for the expansion bearings was 3.5” inches.
The design was completed in-house by the Texas Department of Transportation. The bridge was opened on Thanksgiving Day in 2013.